What are the different types of SEO?
- June 16, 2020
- Posted by: Jimmy Ombom
- Category: SEO
Before embarking on a new project it is better to know where we are and if we have any chance of getting results. For this, nothing better than knowing the type of SEO strategy that our competition does.
We will not always be able to appear for the terms that we would like or for those that our client would like if we work only on-page aspects.
We will have to use other media such as
- social media,
- press releases,
- link building,
- working a blog to create related content, etc … rather off-page factors.
But as I say, the type of SEO we do will depend on the type of page we want to be.
Where SEO is applied
As we have already said, SEO are techniques that are used to get search engines to recognize the content of our website and position it based on them.
To do that, they use a series of internal parameters that, by the way, search engines like Google change every time.
The reason, in addition to improving its functioning, is to separate the grain from the chaff.
That is, see which websites are active and which are not, depending on whether they update their content and adapt to the new parameters or not.
Thus, those that are updated frequently will get a better position than those that do not.
Here are the main types of SEO that could be implemented
- On-Page SEO: it consists of optimizing the HTML code of the site so that the search engine algorithm tracking gives you the best position in the results in the preference of internet users. What does this mean? Well, the better the internal code of your website, the better position the browsers will give you.
- SEO On Content: Site Content SEO is the optimization of the written content of the pages of a site. This part of the SEO application requires professionals who handle the correct use of language and the best strategies that make the most of the analysis and use of the so-called Keywords. We commonly get it part of On-Page SEO. That is, the better the content of your website is written, including the keywords that users write in search engines to find information, the better positioned your website will be.
- Off-Page SEO: These are the actions that specialists in these techniques perform outside our website to improve its position in search engines. It is the most complicated part of SEO positioning because it involves the development of links of related sites with which you want to position yourself complying with the requirements of good search engine practices.
It is also very common to think that web ranking is the same as SEO. SEO is just one of its specialties.
Having a well-positioned website is vital for any business or project that requires visibility on the Internet.
And where its relevance is most clearly seen is in electronic commerce.
According to the eCommerce Study in Africa, in 36% of cases, the brand’s website is the main source of information used by consumers before buying, even ahead of social networks! (which only influence the purchase decision by 27%).
And it is precisely the way to acquire that visibility that allows us to distinguish between different alternatives to make web positioning.
Different types of web positioning and SEO
Above we have already talked about SEO and the different types that exist.
The big advantage of SEO is that the results last over time, as long as the natural SEO positioning is worked, without incurring penalized techniques. You can read about this here: What is Search engine optimization (SEO) and how it works
There are other positioning techniques:
- SEM Positioning:
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) also seeks to position a site in the first results for certain searches or keywords. The difference is that with the SEM, you position yourself on a booklet basis, through sponsored links on platforms such as Google Adwords.
This type of advertising works through a real-time bidding system that establishes a Cost Per Click (CPC). But in Adwords, the highest bid is not guaranteed the first place in the sponsored ads.
Google wants to make sure that the ads are useful for users and for this it adds a factor related to the quality of the campaign and the landing page to which it leads: the quality score.
The position or ranking in which your ad will appear depends on the CPC and the quality score. and the success between the click and the conversion, on the landing page of the ad (the contact page, the landing page), etc.
The SEM has the advantage that it works! According to a survey, 40% of SMEs that invest in a marketing product do so in Adwords advertising.
Against him, and unlike SEO, the results disappear the moment you stop investing money.
- Social Media Optimization (SMO)
This type of positioning specializes in social channels (blogs, platforms, social networks …). The SMO fulfills two basic functions.
- Use social media to generate web traffic.
- Position your page on the social networks themselves.
Both approaches are compatible and complement each other within a global marketing strategy.
The actions within the SMO are focused on creating corporate content, diversifying them in different formats, sharing them on several channels, encouraging them to be shared, generating conversation, seeking virality, etc.
One of the biggest advantages is that, in addition to generating traffic to your website and acquiring visibility within other channels such as social networks, SMO is important for branding.
This opens the doors to another type of positioning, which consists of installing your brand in the minds of users.
One of its main disadvantages is that, although it can provide you with peaks of visits, the actions have a very short life, which forces you to do a constant job.
Which of these options is best for my project?
All of them are complementary. Most advisable in most cases, it is a strategy that combines SEO, SEM, and SMO.
Because if you make your brand known from minute one with social channels, you get short-term clients with sponsored links, and you do a serious job of optimization in the medium or long term … what can fail?
And here we come with this post about the different types of SEO that exist.