We often have conversations with companies, either in our agency or in courses we teach, about the cost of SEO and whether it is more or less compared to PPC strategies (Adwords, Display, Facebook Ads …).
We observe that in many occasions the perception is that SEO is the cheapest strategy if the company does not have many resources or does not want to spend money on a Digital Marketing strategy.
This is a big mistake, SEO is not free nor is it the cheap alternative. Implementing an SEO strategy has a cost, it implies an effort that includes time and money.
Working on the SEO positioning of a company’s website implies a job that includes actions in different areas. Before starting any tactical plan, it is necessary to have a previous investigation stage to work with the company in:
- Understanding the business of the company we want to position;
- What markets and objectives to pursue, who is your ” buyer persona” (potential customer),
- the cycle of purchase (customer journey) of your products or services,
- know what are the strengths of the products or services offered and barriers to their purchase.
- With all this knowledge, a keyword study should be done taking into account the intentionality and phase of the users’ purchase itinerary. Let’s see how to create great SEO and online marketing strategy if you are a beginner.
2. Work on the On-Page optimization of the website to ensure that it has adequate navigation;
- that it is correctly indexed by search engines, that the content structure follows a logical hierarchy of text labels (H1, H2, H3 …),
- that the web It is optimized to give an adequate speed of use that leads to good user experience,
- In short, review all the technical aspects of the web that can help us optimize it.
3. Work on the development and distribution of original and quality content.
- The content should attract traffic at each stage of the customer journey, with specific content according to what we seek to attract, the consideration of our products or services and where we support the purchase decision.
- This content will have to be created looking for a valuable contribution to the user so that the traffic is attracted.
- Good content means having good copies that really create content that you like and “hook”.
- It is also important to have good designers who take that content and present it in an attractive and visual way.
4. Cultivate quality inbound links that provide authority to our website. Monitor incoming links that may damage our reputation to eliminate them as soon as possible and not incur penalties.
5. Analysis. In each tactic, you have to define a measurement for it, to track and check if it works or not, and thus be able to implement corrective actions or enhance what works well.
All these tasks that we have summarized involve the work of different professional profiles.
This complexity means that not all companies can afford to have several professionals dedicated to Digital Marketing, so in many cases, they resort to outsourcing and hiring digital agency professionals.
SEO REQUIRES TIME AND PATIENCE
Seeing results in an SEO strategy takes time, but on the other hand, the results are also more lasting than an SEM campaign.
The time factor is something very important in the conversations we have with the companies we advise, and thus we assess whether, within the company’s business plan, implementing an SEO strategy is the most appropriate.
In some cases, a very rapid increase in traffic is required and in a very short time, this may imply that the best strategy to follow is to implement SEM campaign strategies using Adwords, Display or social media advertising that is now so much stylized.
SO DO WE DO SEO?
That is a good question and as we have said it is something we should ask ourselves when planning our Digital Marketing strategy.
In many cases, our recommendation is to use a combination of SEO, SEM and other Digital Marketing tactics (Email Marketing, Inbound Marketing …).
It all depends on our objectives, speed with which we must reach them and the budget with which we have.
Taking into account then that increasing organic traffic (SEO) to our website is not free and therefore has a cost, we should make a study of the cost per conversion per channel provided by each type of traffic.
With this information, we can decide which is the best mix of tactics for our online project.
In this analysis, we will also have to take into account the conversion rate per channel.
In short, taking into account the objectives you want to achieve in your company and the time frame you have for it, optimize your Digital Marketing strategy and the tactical plan to be implemented, to achieve the highest possible ROI.